Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Today's the day...(part 1)

Hi all,


I'm sitting here in the Ambulatory Surgery Center at the Stanford Cancer Center.
We woke up in the 4 o'clock hour this morning. Left the house by 5 and were here before 6. Palo Alto sunrise from the 3rd floor waiting room.

Deb went into surgery at 7:30 exactly - right on schedule.

We're in good spirits since we both know that we'll make it through this. Somehow I'm not feeling stressed or anxious (that's making me a little nervous I must confess, but...)

They expect the surgery to take about 3 hours, but made sure to promise that they'll take as much time as they need. We saw the surgeon (among other doctors and nurses - one of the anesthesiologists is from MN dontcha know). Dr. Wapnir - the surgeon found us behind the curtain and said she knew it was us - she could tell by the laughter :-) Classic.

So, I'm sitting here, Deb's mom is next to me reading a paper and all is fine.

Ryan was sleeping comfortably with Wendy when we left this morning. We are so grateful to Wendy for coming down from Eureka to help us with Ryan during these few days while Deb will be in the hospital. Ryan and "Woo" are getting along famously :-)

They told us to plan on spending 2 nights here and I'll be with Deb throughout.


We are so touched and moved by the outpouring of love and support from you all. We are so very fortunate to have such amazing, loving people in our world. Seriously; you all rock!

I'll post more later when there's more to post.

I love you - we love you,

Howie

1 comment:

Howie said...

Update from OR...

Everything is going well.
They're 1/2 way done.

They've removed her left breast and are now working on her right.

Her vitals are good and everything is going as expected.

They told me to expect another 2 hours in surgery.

Mom & Dad Slavin are here with me.